Japanese Placement Exam
Information on How to Place Yourself in the Appropriate Language Course(s)
Students with no previous Japanese language coursework should preregister for:
- JAPN-011 Intensive First Level Japanese I
All other students must take the online placement exam during the
summer to determine the appropriate level for purposes of course
enrollment. See below for how to take the online placement exam.
Students who believe they will place out of the College’s foreign
language requirement in Japanese, and who do not intend to continue their study of Japanese at Georgetown, should sit for the proctored placement exam during New Student Orientation. The times and the locations of the proctored exam are to be announced.
Students seeking AP credit in Japanese should take the online placement exam, and take at least one Japanese language course of the level of their placement at Georgetown. For additional information about advanced credit, please consult the AP/IB Policies.
How to take the online placement exam:
In order to take the test, you must self-enroll in the course on Canvas.
1. Go to https://georgetown.instructure.com/enroll/66CXL8.
2. Log in to Canvas using your NetID and password.
3. After logging in, click “Enroll in Course”.
4. Click “Go to the Course”.
5. Click “Instructions” to start the test.
6. Use the “Next” button on the bottom to navigate the test.
7. Make sure to click on the “Submit Quiz” button on the right bottom for each section, even if you do not answer all questions in the section.
8. When you successfully complete the test, you will see the placement chart. Refer to “Grades” on the left for your score.
9. Enroll in the appropriate course based on your placement result.
Make sure that you have a reliable internet connection, and that your browser is up to date. We recommend Google Chrome or Firefox, but not Safari. Make sure that Flash Player is installed on your computer in order to play audio for Listening Comprehension. If not, download Flash Player from Adobe.com. If the audio does not work during Audio Check, try a different browser. Make sure that the speakers or headsets are properly connected to your computer, and that the speakers are on. Close other programs running on the computer.
Set aside ample quiet time before you begin the test so that you can complete each section in one sitting. Avoid distraction; focus only on the test until it is completed. Do not refresh the browser window after beginning the test.
Make sure to click on the “Submit Quiz” button on the right bottom for each section, even if you do not answer all questions in the section; otherwise, you will not be able to proceed to the next section. To proceed to the next section, select “Next” at the bottom of the page. Submit all sections until you see a message with the placement results chart.
If you encounter a problem or a technical difficulty that prevents you from finishing the exam, contact the UIS Service Center as soon as possible.
UIS Service Center: 202-687-4949 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have a question or concerns regarding your placement, contact the Japanese program in the Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures: Email Professor Yoshiko Mori.