Fill out the following form and drop it off at the front desk in the EALAC office in order to apply for one of our Teaching Assistant positions!

Chinese Teaching Assistant Application Form

Learning Chinese

  • Chinese Language Information Page
    A comprehensive navigational tool pointing you to Chinese language related resources.
    Chinese-related web pages with a focus on Chinese language learning for English speakers.
  • Learning Chinese Online
    This web site, created and maintained by Dr. Xie Tianwei, contains good information on learning Chinese at all levels.
  • Marjorie Chan's ChinaLinks
    This site has annotated links to over six hundred China-and Chinese language and linguistics-related websites (and a few ftp and gopher sites). The links have been selected and annotated with the aim of directing graduate and undergraduate students in Chinese -- as well as colleagues and other interested scholars -- to some useful internet resources.
  • Resources for Modern Chinese Literature & Culture
    This resource center contains, among other things, bibliographies of mostly English-language materials on modern Chinese literature, film, art, and culture and is maintained by Kirk A. Denton and Thomas Chan at the Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures, The Ohio State University.

Overseas Studies (Chinese)

Georgetown-Sponsored Programs

Students should apply to these Georgetown-sponsored programs through the Office of International Programs.

a) CIEE (Council on International Educational Exchange)
Semester and academic year programs in Beijing (at Peking University), Nanjing (at Nanjing University), Shanghai (at East China Normal University) and Taipei (at National Chengchi University). Summer programs in Beijing and Shanghai. The Shanghai and Taipei programs include a variety of Chinese studies courses in English in addition to language classes. For more info:

b) CET-Harbin
Semester and summer programs at the Harbin Institute of Technology, including one-on-one tutorials with local professors on topics of the student's choice. For more info:

c) The Beijing Center for Language and Culture
Fall, Spring, and Summer programs in Beijing, offering Chinese studies courses and in English as well as language courses. Less emphasis on language than the above programs. For more info:

d) Chinese University of Hong Kong
Fall, spring, and academic year programs in Hong Kong, offering Mandarin training and business courses. For more info:

e) ACC (Associated Colleges in China)
Semester, academic year, and summer programs in Beijing. Offers a highly structured curriculum with small classes, primarily for undergraduates. For more info:

f) Middlebury C.V. Starr Schools Abroad

Semeseter and academic year programs in Hangzhou, Zhejiang and Kunming, Yunnan. Both programs provide Chinese-only curriculum, comprehensive language pledge, one-on-one tutorial and Chinese roommates. For more information:


Independent Programs

Students may apply directly to these programs, in consultation with the Office of International Programs. Georgetown students have successfully attended all of the programs below for credit.

a) IUP (Inter-University Program)
Academic year and summer programs in Beijing. Offers one-on-one and very small group classes for motivated undergraduates and graduate students. For more info:

b) Princeton in Beijing
Summer program in Beijing. A rigorous intensive program using Princeton’s texts. For more info:

c) International Chinese Language Program at National Taiwan University
Offers one-on-one and very small group classes. (This used to be the site of the IUP program listed above, and retains IUP’s effective structure.)

Graduate Programs

The Hopkins-Nanjing Center for Chinese and American Studies
Offers a one-year graduate level certificate program, and two-year M.A. program in International Studies, and a certificate SAIS/MA program combinging study in Nanjing and Washington DC . American students studying in Chinese are paired with Chinese roommates studying in English. For more info: