In order to apply for one of our Chinese Teaching Assistant positions:
- Download the Chinese Teaching Assistant Application Form OR pick up at the EALC department front desk (ICC 306).
- Fill out the form with black pen/ no pencil.
- Scan or take a picture of the application and email to the department administrator: Jonelle Daley (jmd380) with file naming convention –> Last name, First name_NetId (example: Daley, Jonelle_jmd380)
- Professors will contact you directly if they are interested in scheduling an interview.
- Chinese Language Information Page
A comprehensive navigational tool pointing you to Chinese language related resources.
Chinese-related web pages with a focus on Chinese language learning for English speakers.
- Learning Chinese Online
This web site, created and maintained by Dr. Xie Tianwei, contains good information on learning Chinese at all levels.
- Marjorie Chan’s ChinaLinks
This site has annotated links to over six hundred China-and Chinese language and linguistics-related websites (and a few ftp and gopher sites). The links have been selected and annotated with the aim of directing graduate and undergraduate students in Chinese — as well as colleagues and other interested scholars — to some useful internet resources.
- Resources for Modern Chinese Literature & Culture
This resource center contains, among other things, bibliographies of mostly English-language materials on modern Chinese literature, film, art, and culture and is maintained by Kirk A. Denton and Thomas Chan at the Department of East Asian Languages and Literatures, The Ohio State University.
Study Abroad Programs (Chinese)
Students should apply to these Georgetown-approved programs through the Office of Global Education: https://studyabroad.georgetown.edu/goabroad/
- ACC Semester > A highly-structured, intensive curriculum aimed primarily at undergraduates, and a solid language pledge.
- Advanced Chinese Studies at Peking University (CIEE) Beijing China > (For advanced students ready to study alongside Beijing University undergraduates)l
- Intensive Chinese Language in Beijing, China (CIEE)
- The Beijing Center > Offers a variety of content courses in English, with some language training, but the emphasis is not on the language, and many of the students have minimal background in Chinese. Not recommended for Chinese majors.
- Middlebury Hangzhou
- CET Harbin > Semester programs at the Harbin Institute of Technology, including one-on-one tutorials with local professors on topics of the student’s choice. Strong in Classical Chinese. Also offers a summer program (not on the approved GU list). https://cetacademicprograms.com/college-study-abroad/programs/china/harbin-chinese-language/
- Chinese University of Hong Kong
- City University of Hong Kong
- Middlebury Kunming
- SIT China: Health, Environment, and Traditional Chinese Medicine
- Intensive Chinese Language and Culture in Nanjing, China (CIEE) Nanjing China
- Accelerated Chinese Language in Shanghai, China (CIEE) Shanghai China
- Business, Language and Culture in Shanghai, China (CIEE) Shanghai China
- China in a Global Context in Shanghai, China (CIEE)
- Intensive Chinese Language and Culture in Taipei, Taiwan (CIEE)
3 Campus East Asia (combines study in Seoul, Tokyo, and Hong Kong)
GU-Approved Summer Programs
Students should apply to this program through the Office of Global Education: https://studyabroad.georgetown.edu/goabroad/
- ACC Summer
Students may apply independently to these programs, in consultation with the Office of Global Education. The following programs have strong track records with GU students and offer aspects distinct from the approved programs. As for Independent Petition, OGE generally advises against encouraging students to do that, as they only accept rare cases that show a specific need that cannot be fulfilled by their many programs.
- Inter-University Program (IUP) Chinese Center at Tsinghua University > Serves a broader student body than the usual study abroad programs, including graduate students and professionals. http://iupchinesecenter.org
- Princeton-in-Beijing (summer only) > A rigorous program keyed to US-style curriculum levels. https://pib.princeton.edu
- A summer program similar to their semester programs (see above), including one-on-one tutorial on a topic of the student’s design. https://cetacademicprograms.com/college-study-abroad/programs/summer/chinese-harbin/
- The Hopkins-Nanjing Center for Chinese and American Studies > Offers both graduate certificate and M.A. programs. Hopkins-Nanjing Center